Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Vietnam: Halong Bay

After a day in Hanoi, Ethan and I headed to Halong Bay a UNESCO Heritage Site designated such due to it's boundless beauty and magnificence, or something like that. No, really, it was cool. We headed out of Halong City on a junk, went to a big ass cave, putted around the islands, went swimming, stayed the night on the junk where we learned what the name meant ("What's that scratching noise?" "Oh, just the rats"), spent the next day kayaking with our lazy as shit guide, and spent the night in a nice hotel in Cat Ba. The islands of Halong Bay are officially numbered at 1969. There are actually more, but that was the year Ho Chi Minh died, so they gave that number as the official count. Okay, here are pics from Halong Bay.


A view of the jumble of boats at the harbor


Another view as we're leaving

Over the bow and through the islands

Saw quite a few of these, many trying to sell us stuff. Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard "You buy something?" or "You buy from me?"

Island pics, the weather was a little crappy, mostly overcast.



Inside the big ass cave. It was well lit with walkways, which sort of took from some of it's mystery.

Me, trying to sell the cave.

The back-up of junks dropping people off and picking people off. Luckily this was by far the most congested area we encountered.

Our room was ok, beside the rats and the lack of power.

Upstairs wasn't too bad either, especially after we took control of the Karaoke machine. I think I have a future career. Regardless of what contrary proof Wes may have.

Sun setting, sort of.

Next day, I think.

Fishing village. Some of these people hardly ever step on Terra firma.

Fish farm.

Fishermen.

Lunch on the beach after kayaking. The kayaking was pretty cool and I saw the biggest jellyfish thing ever. I didn't take my camera with me in the kayak though.

Our smaller second day junk.

Gourmet lunch on the beach.

View from our hotel roof out at the bay at Cat Ba.

Disembarking for the bus ride back to Hanoi. I almost said home, but Hanoi is definitely not home.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger usathome said...

Hey--did the cave sell? Thanks for both the neew blogs- the pictures are justlike we'd imagine. sleeping on a junk with the rats-sweet!
love,momandlar

 

Post a Comment

<< Home